Laser Resurfacing – The Most Advanced Skin Rejuvenation Treatment
Laser resurfacing is one of the most advanced skin rejuvenation treatments available and is known in the industry as being effective in treating both superficial and deep skin problems, such as acne scarring, wrinkles and pigmentation.
Unlike traditional lasers which use a solid beam, fractional resurfacing lasers use a matrix of microscopic beams to penetrate the skin which means only a proportion of the skin is treated with each shot of the laser. This allows uninjured skin within the treatment site to act as a barrier which promotes quicker healing and a faster recovery. The stimulation of a healing response leads to the formation of new collagen in the treated area. In addition to this ‘ablative’ effect on the skin’s surface, there is a tightening effect on collateral collagen fibres and a resulting smoothing effect. Benefits include clearing sun damage such as age spots, fine lines and wrinkles; smoothing out acne scars and an improvement in the appearance of pores.
The results of laser resurfacing are both immediate and progressive. Soon after the treatment, the surface of your skin will feel softer and smoother, look brighter, show a more even skin tone and a radiant glow. Over the next 3 months, some skin types can benefit from having maintenance sessions.
Are there any side effects?
The treatment itself is generally comfortable and well tolerated, however, heat usually starts to build up in the skin immediately following the procedure and the treated area may feel hot and sore much like moderate sunburn for 6-8hrs. Skin will be cooled with cold air directly during and following the treatment. Redness of the skin will occur and may last between 1-3 days; make-up can be applied the following day if desired. The skin may feel dry and tight and very mild peeling may be experienced which can last for several days. Unlike traditional skin resurfacing, blistering and crusting does not usually occur following the procedure. Dryness of the skin is treated using a series of bespoke cosmeceutical skincare products. A Dermalux session can be combined immediately and over the subsequent days to help with quicker recovery and more stimulation.
Can all areas of the body be treated and does skin colour make a difference?
All areas of the body can be treated with fractional skin resurfacing but it should be emphasised that these techniques work best on facial skin, neck, décolleté and back of the hands. We have also used the treatment on other ares of the body where scaring has occurred. All types of skin colour can be treated except dark skinned Afro-Caribbean.
How many treatments are needed?
For best results, we recommend a series of 3-6 treatment sessions performed every 4-6 weeks.
Is laser treatment safe?
There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that laser treatment can be linked to skin disorders or increased risk of skin cancer. However, as with any laser or light based treatment, there is a very small risk of potential side effects such as pigment changes and scarring. The risk of these occurring can be reduced to an absolute minimum by ensuring that patients follow the pre and post treatment advice given during the initial consultation.
Our medical laser practitioner and clinic director, Julian Kessler, has 11 years of experience in providing various skin treatments. We are also members of the British Medical Laser Association ensuring the highest level of safety for our patients. We only invest in the highest quality laser systems from leading medical manufacturers with a comprehensive background in research, safety and development – you are in safe with hands!
START YOUR JOURNEY TO A BETTER SKIN FROM £35
Step 1: MEDICAL CONSULTATION FOR JUST £35
- You’ll come and see our medical practitioner at your consultation. They’ll ask you about your skin, your full medical history and if you’ve had any previous treatments.
- Your skin will be assessed to establish its true condition by removing your make up and using a skin scanner and magnifying lamp.
- We will inform you about the products and treatments which would be of benefit and formulate a treatment plan. We may suggest some complimentary treatments as well as skin products to use in a home-care regimen. Full costing for the products and treatments are explained at your consultation visit and you will be under no obligation to make any decisions at that time. We always encourage people to consider the information before embarking on any course of treatment
Step 2 : TREATMENT
- We will perform your first treatment or a series of treatments, depending on the condition of your skin
- Recovery time: 6-8 of redness and soreness, followed by 3-6 days of mild dryness and exfoliation. Recovery time can be minimised using recommended products and having Dermalux sessions.
Step 3: SUSTAINING RESULTS
- After Care: To compliment your treatment and sustain long-lasting result, we will also provide you with guidance when it comes to your skin care regime at home. We will recommend you a bespoke series of best medical products to use at home to make sure your skin looks and feels amazing long after the treatments have finished.
LASER RESURFACING TREATMENT AT GLANCE
Consultation £35 (a one-off fee)
Procedure Time: 30min depending on the size of area
Best Results: 3-6 treatments
Specialist: Medical Nurse Practitioner
Recovery Time: 3-6 days
Prices: from £80 a session for a small area and from £200 for a full face.